le 3 juillet 2023, à 11h
Prof Yap BOUM II, Executive Director, Institut Pasteur of Bangui, Central African Republic
Amphithéâtre : Amphi Becquerel, Ecole Polytechnique
West and Central African region has one of the highest maternal mortality rates globally while suffering from the effects of climate change, including extreme heat, droughts, degradation of agriculture, and security challenges. Overall, this leads to displaced populations with poor and worsening access to healthcare. The COVID-19 pandemic has worsened the situation in many countries. However, Africa has not seen the expected disaster during the COVID-19 pandemic. Research has significantly contributed to provide evidences to improve the response by African countries to COVID-19 pandemic and others epidemics (HIV, Tuberculosis, cholera, Mpox, measles…). There are more opportunities for research to find homegrown and innovative solutions to address the wicked problems Africa are facing. Technology, partnership and the building of a global community of scientists are some of them. During this conference, we will navigate across the Central African region and discuss how research is improving life and especially access to quality healthcare services. We will also find how Ecole Polytechnique can become a Global Health actor and contribute to decolonizing Global Health through equitable partnership with Institut Pasteur and University of Bangui in Central African Republic.
Co-organised by Dr. Hannu Myllykallio (Laboratory of Optics and Biosciences, Ecole Polytechnique) and Pr. Simcha Jong (Professor of Management and Healthcare Innovation, UCL Global Business School for Health and Pr. Chargé de Cours, Ecole Polytechnique).
- Haberer JE, Boum Y 2nd. Behind-the-Scenes Investment for Equity in Global Health Research. N Engl J Med. 2023 Feb 2;388(5):387-390. doi: 10.1056/NEJMp2213809. Epub 2023 Jan 28.PMID: 36724379
- Esso L, Epée E, Bilounga C, Abah A, Hamadou A, Dibongue E, Kamga Y, Belinga S, Eyangoh S, Okomo MC, Mounagué C, Tiwoda C, Mandeng N, Onana T, Mendjime P, Mahamat F, Mballa GAE, Boum Y. Cameroon's bold response to the COVID-19 pandemic during the first and second waves. Lancet Infect Dis. 2021 Aug;21(8):1064-1065. doi: 10.1016/S1473-3099(21)00388-1. PMID: 34331876; PMCID: PMC8318523
- Boum Y, Bebell LM, Bisseck AZ. Africa needs local solutions to face the COVID-19 pandemic. Lancet. 2021 Apr 3;397(10281):1238-1240. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(21)00719-4. Epub 2021 Mar 24. Erratum in: Lancet. 2021 Jun 19;397(10292):2336. PMID: 33773113; PMCID: PMC7990475.
- Hodson DZ, Etoundi YM, Parikh S, Boum Y II (2023) Striving towards true equity in global health: A checklist for bilateral research partnerships. PLOS Glob Public Health 3(1): e0001418. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pgph.0001418
- Boum Y, et al. Performance and operational feasibility of antigen and antibody rapid diagnostic tests for COVID-19 in symptomatic and asymptomatic patients in Cameroon: a clinical, prospective, diagnostic accuracy study. Lancet Infect Dis. 2021 Aug;21(8):1089-1096. doi: 10.1016/S1473-3099(21)00132-8.
Contact : Hannu Myllykallio
hannu.myllykallio at polytechnique.edu
simcha.jong at polytechnique.edu
A télécharger: Séminaire BOUM