Technological advances have allowed for the emergence of new professions in computer science within the fields of artificial intelligence, data science, web technology, cybersecurity, networks, computer graphics, formal methods and optimization. The Computer Science Department aims to provide future graduates with the essential skills of the field of computer science. Found across all areas of society, economics and science, this discipline must be mastered by any engineer or researcher, regardless of their chosen field. The Department is supported by its Laboratory, LIX, whose teams are responsible for the core part of computer science education at École Polytechnique.
In order to remain at the forefront of current and upcoming developments in the world of computer science, the Department offers education adapted to each student’s profile, according to level of study.
Bachelor students take :
- Year 1 classes (Programming, Algorithms, Web Programming), then for Mathematics and Computer Science double majors:
- Year 2 classes (Object-oriented Programming, Design and Analysis of Algorithms, Logic and Proofs, Machine Learning, Computer Architecture, Introduction to Formal Languages, Introduction to Networks)
- Year 3 classes (Advanced C++ Programming, Compilers, Computer Science Project, Concurrent and Distributed Computing, Complexity, Computer Graphics)
Students of the Ingénieur Polytechnicien Program :
- take classes in computer science from Year 1 onwards. They have a choice of two levels: introductory or advanced.
- specialize in Year 2, choosing classes in Algorithms, Advanced Algorithms, Complexity and Calculability, Computer Graphics and Data analysis.
- learn concrete applications with the modal classes in Year 2. These are practical classes culminating in the completion of a project. Following a 2-month course, students learn about the technology of today and tomorrow through practical study. There is a range of modals available. The Web modal consists of creating a complete website, either alone or partnered with another student. In the Tablet modal, students are given an overview of app programming for smartphones and tablets. The Robots modal gives students the opportunity to program their own (airborne or land-based) autonomous drones. Click here for a more comprehensive list of all the modals.
- receive in-depth, personalized education. From Year 3, may choose from three different intensive programs, at the end of which they complete an internship of approximately 4 months (see INF590 , INF591 , INF592 et INF593 ) :
- The "Bioinformatics" program is coordinated jointly with the Biology Department.
- The "Electrical Engineering" program is taught in conjunction with the Physics and Applied Mathematics Departments.
- Several tracks are available for the "Computer Science" program, including Design of Computer Systems (cyberphysical systems), Cybersecurity, and Algorithmics and Efficiency.
Research internships :
The research internship is open to all Year 3 students on Ingénieur Polytechnicien, Master and Graduate Degree Programs, regardless of their level of interest in pursuing a career in research. It takes place in France or abroad in an academic context (e.g. at the laboratory of a research facility or institution of higher education), a business context (e.g. at a company R&D center, an SME or a start-up) or in a managing department.
The internship must include a research component and requires a written report and an oral defense before a jury.
INF590 - Internship for IoT (2019-2020)
INF591 - Internship in Computer Science (2019-2020)
INF592 - Internship in Data Science (2019-2020)
INF593 - Internship for Cybersecurity (2019-2020)
Click here for the 2019-2020 internship brochure
Master’s students on a PhD track can focus on the following paths:
Future graduates may choose to focus on:
- Research at public bodies or large enterprises in France or abroad based on the Internet and network management sector.
- Engineering and development of information services at major corporations across all sectors.
- Entrepreneurship, which is greatly simplified for IT due to the reduced requirement of equipment and material.
- Continuing their studies at an école d’application (specialized graduate school) like Télécom Paris, major government bodies, or through additional training abroad.