Dr Julien FUCHS
2008: Habilitation à Diriger des Recherches (Université Paris-Sud, France)
1995-1998: Ph.D. in Physics (INRS Québec/LULI-CNRS/CEA)
1998: Optics Engineer (M. Sc.), École Supérieure d'Optique (Orsay, France)
CURRENT and PAST POSITIONS
2014-2016: leading scientist of a “megagrant” project (involving 21 scientists and 12 students) at the Institute of Applied Physics, Russian Academy of Sciences (Nizhny Novgorod, Russia)
1998-: CNRS researcher (currently Research Director) at LULI (École Polytechnique, France); leader of the SPRINT group from 2014
2003-2004: Associate Research Professor at the University of Nevada (Reno, NV, USA)
2002-2003: scientist in the Fusion group at General Atomics (San Diego, CA, USA)
Five major publications in the last five years
- • Laboratory unravelling of matter accretion in young stars
- G. Revet [...] and J. Fuchs
- Science Advances 3, e1700982 (2017)
- • Temporal Narrowing of Neutrons produced by High-Intensity, Short-Pulse Lasers
- D.P. Higginson [...] and J. Fuchs
- Phys. Rev. Lett. 115, 054802 (2015)
- • Topology of Megagauss Magnetic Fields and of Heat-Carrying Electrons produced in a High-Power Laser-Solid Interaction
- L. Lancia [...] and J. Fuchs
- Phys. Rev. Lett. 113, 235001 (2014)
- • Laboratory formation of a scaled protostellar jet by co-aligned poloidal magnetic field
- B. Albertazzi [...] and J. Fuchs
- Science 346, 325 (2014)
- • Charge equilibrium of a laser generated carbon ion beam in warm dense matter
- M. Gauthier [...] and J. Fuchs
- Phys. Rev. Lett. 110, 135003 (2013)
For a full list of my publications, click here for a list in PDF, or see orcid.org/0000-0001-9765-0787.
► Collaborations in France
- CEA-DAM, with:
- the team of L. Gremillet on numerical simulation of ion acceleration,
- the team of V. Méot on theoretical and experimental nuclear excitations in plasmas
- CNRS, CENBG, with the team of F. Hannachi on plasma and neutron beam characterization using nuclear techniques
- CNRS, LPP, with R. Smets on magnetic reconnection studies
- CNRS, INSP, with the team of D. Vernhet on ion-matter interaction modeling
- CNRS, LPGP, with G. Maynard and C. Deutsch on ion-matter interaction modeling
- CNRS, CELIA, with the team of E. d’Humières on modeling collisionless shocks and ion acceleration
- CNRS, LNCMI, with the team of O. Portugall on high-magnetic field systems
- UPMC, LERMA, with A. Ciardi and C. Stéhlé on astrophysical MHD modeling
► International collaborations
- Observatory of Palermo (Italy), with R. Bonito and S. Orlando on astrophysical modeling (supernovæ and young stars)
- SLAC (USA), with S. Glenzer on warm dense matter generation and characterization
- U. Reno (USA), with Y. Sentoku on modeling of high-intensity laser-matter interactions
- INRS-EMT (Canada), with H. Pépin, J.C. Kieffer and P. Antici on ion beam generation and applications
- ELI-Beamlines (Czech Republic), with S. Weber on plasma optics.
- ELI-NP (Romania), with F. Negoita on neutron beam generation with lasers
- UC San Diego (USA), with F. Beg on warm dense matter generation and characterization
- LLNL (USA), with B. Pollock on magnetized laboratory astrophysics experiments with lasers.
- University “La Sapienza“ of Rome (Italy), with S. Atzeni on modeling dense plasmas heating.
- HHU (Düsseldorf, Germany), with O. Willi on plasma optics.
- Queen’s U. (Belfast, U.K.) with M. Borghesi, on ion acceleration and applications.
- JIHT-RAS (Russia), with the team of S. Pikuz on spectroscopy of dense plasmas.
- IAP-RAS (Russia), with the team of A. Sergeev on magnetized laboratory astrophysics experiments with lasers and microwave sources.
In the early 2000, I worked implementing (for the first time in France) adaptive optics on a high-power laser. This was made in the frame of a PhD thesis, following which the student created a startup (PHASICS) that has developed into a successful company (http://www.phasicscorp.com/). More recently, I helped the creation (in Jan. 2014) of another company "Light Stream Labs" (http://www.lightstreamlabs.com/), which aims to promote the expertise of the LULI laboratory in the realization of laser-matter diagnostic and targets systems.
FORMER POST-DOC ASSOCIATES
- Higginson D. (2012-2015) currently researcher at LLNL (CA, USA)
- Chen S. (2011-2015) currently researcher at IAP-RAS (RU)
- Comet M. (2015) currently researcher at CEA (FR)
- Lévy A. (2009-2011) currently associate professor at University Pierre & Marie Curie in Paris (FR)
- Nakatsutsumi M. (2008-2012) currently beamline scientist at the European XFEL facility in Hamburg (DE)
- Robiche J. (2007-2008)
- Romagnani L. (2006) currently CNRS researcher at LULI
- Ruyer C. (2015) currently researcher at CEA (FR)
FORMER PHD STUDENTS
- Albertazzi B., currently post-doc. associate at the Osaka University (JP)
- Antici P., Marie Curie EU fellowship, currently associate professor at INRS-Québec (CA)
- Buffechoux S., currently consultant in "energy"
- Castan A., currently engineer
- Gauthier M., currently post-doc. associate at SLAC (CA, USA)
- Lancia A., currently CNRS researcher at LULI
- Mancic A., currently professor at the Nis University (RS)
- Riquier R., currently researcher at CEA (FR)
- Vassura L., currently teacher